The perfect marriage of cheesy goodness and saucey buffalo chicken!
- 1/3 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup All-purpose flour
- 2 cups Whole milk
- 1 ½ cups Half and Half
- 1 ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp White pepper (black will do if it's all you have)
- 2 ½ cups Grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Grated gouda cheese
- ½ cup Grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup Grated swiss cheese
- 1 lb Cavatappi pasta
- 5 qt Water
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Salt for water
Pan-Seared Chicken Breasts
- 2 Large skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt, granulated garlic, paprika (To taste)
- ½ cup Buffalo sauce, like Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing Sauce
- ¼ stick Unsalted butter
- ⅛ tsp Granulated garlic
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne pepper
- In your stock pot add water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and boil until al dente.
- Drain pasta and toss with olive oil to keep it from sticking.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the flour to the butter and whisk for 2 minutes until there are no more lumps.
- Cook butter and flour for 3 more minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk for 1 minute
- Add the half n half and whisk for another 2 minutes
- Once the milk has been fully whisked with the flour, add 1/2 of the shredded cheeses. Whisk until completely melted then add the remaining cheese.
- Add the dijon mustard, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to the cheese sauce and whisk together.
- Mix cheese sauce and cooked pasta in a large bowl and set aside.
- Trim and pat dry 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Heat skillet with olive oil.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika.
- Sear the chicken breasts on both sides until a nice golden brown crust appears.
- Turn the burner on low and cover the chicken for another 8 minutes. Chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees F.
- Let chicken rest for 5 minutes then chop or shred and put in a bowl.
- In a small saucepan add all ingredients and heat through. Add ½ of the sauce to the chopped chicken, coat the chicken.
Assembly and Bake
- In your 9×13 baking pan put ½ cheese coated pasta.
- Top pasta with buffalo sauced chicken. Spread it evenly on top of the pasta.
- Add the remaining pasta with cheese sauce on top of the chicken layer.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top or you can slice your block of cheese and put the slices for the top.
- Pour remaining buffalo sauce over the top.
- Bake the mac and cheese In your 375 degree F preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Mac and Cheese, Pan Seared Chicken, Pasta