When you want a quick sourdough bread with even more delicious goodness, this Buttermilk Sourdough Bread is the answer!
This recipe makes ONE LOAF — if you want more, just toggle the quantity options.
I use a 9 inch by 5.5 inch pan. Here’s one that will work great if you don’t have one.
- 140 grams ripe (recently fed sourdough starter)
- 168 grams water at 110 degrees (this will quickly cool once it hits the starter and buttermilk)
- 80 grams buttermilk
- 1.5 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1.25 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 400 grams Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Non-stick spray
Create your dough:
- Take the buttermilk out of the fridge and let it warm up for about an hour. If you need to speed warm it, you can put the buttermilk in a small bowl and set the bowl inside a larger bowl. Add warm water to surround the small bowl and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Once warmed a bit, mix the buttermilk with the starter and water.
- Measure the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt into the buttermilk, starter and water bowl.
- Mix well with your hands until all of the flour is absorbed into the liquid. This will form a dough ball that is soft. Cover with a dishtowel and let set for 30 minutes.
Prep your rising bowl:
- You’ll need a large glass bowl to rise the dough. I use this 2.5 quart pyrex bowl because it gives the dough enough room to rise. If you are making two loaves, you’ll need 2 large bowls to rise the doughs.
- Use softened butter to coat the rising bowl.
- Take the dough out of the mixing bowl and shape and add to the rising bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 2 hours. The dough should double in size. I turn on the oven light and put my dough in the oven to rise. If you do that, check the temp of your bulb because different ovens get warmer than others! If yours runs hot, just turn in on for the first 45 minutes.
Shape the Dough:
- Once the dough has doubled in size, remove from the bowl to the counter or cutting board.
- Gently knead the dough 5-6 times.
- Flour the surface and shape the dough into a loaf. Shape to the length of your bread pan.
Prep the bread pan:
- Spay the bread pan with non-stick spray.
- Line with parchment paper and spray the parchment paper with non-stick spray.
- Place your dough loaf into the pan and cover with aluminum foil. I create a dome of foil to give a little more room for rising.
- Let set for about an hour for the second rise. It won’t rise as much as the first rise.
Preheat the oven to 415 degrees.
- Bake the bread for 20 minutes with the foil dome on.
- At the 20 minute mark, remove the foil and drop the temperature to 385 degrees for 30-35 minutes. The crust will be a nice medium golden brown.
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing.
- Prep Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Bread
Keywords: buttermilk, quick bread, sourdough bread, sourdough starter