Black-eyed peas are filled with healthy fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals and can be a great addition to any meal.
Historically, black-eyed peas were celebrated for bringing luck on New Year’s day and are a staple in soul food and southern cooking.
Today you’ll find black-eyed peas on menus all around the world because they are nutritious and delicious and easy to prepare. You don’t need much to make black-eyed peas taste delicious and cooking them in the Instant Pot shortens the cooking time down to under an hour, including prep!
**This dish is easily vegan — just omit all ham or meat and use vegetable stock**
🛒 Shopping List
- Dried Black-Eyed Peas (shop here)
- Fresh garlic
- White or Yellow Onion
- Bay leaves
- Stock — If you don’t have a ham hock laying around to make stock from, any vegetable, chicken, or beef stock will do. Use vegetable stock if you want a vegan dish.
- Olive oil
- Ham hock, salt pork, or cooked bacon. Omit if you desire a vegan recipe.
🍽 Equipment needed:
- Instant Pot (here’s the one we love)
- Saute or frying pan
- Strainer to rinse the beans in
- Measuring cup
- Prep bowls for diced veg and aromatics
- Cutting board