When the temperatures drop, I start craving chili.
I grew up eating chili from a can and loved it. I didn’t know any better ❤️. My dad would crush up saltine crackers and sprinkle them in the chili then top it with cheddar cheese; nothing made me happier.
As I grew up my chili love grew and I learned the power of the crockpot for cooking chili. There’s just something about that all-day cooked flavors that come out of that ceramic bowl!
A while back, my husband made me White Bean Chicken Chili.
If something can be light and savory at the same time, this chili is it.
I know, I know, there’s a ton of debate whether anything with beans or chicken is a chili. Whatever you want to call this, know that it is easy, delicious and a fast favorite.
The ingredients you’ll need are listed below:
- 2 lbs. of chicken — we use 1 lb. chicken breast and 1 lb. of skinless, boneless chicken thighs.
- 4 cups of good chicken broth. If you don’t have homemade, Better than Boullion is a great substitute.
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 3 stalks of diced celery
- 1/2 cup of diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup of diced white or yellow onion
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 1/2 tsp. of ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. of dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz. of canned diced green chilis — with the water
- 1 can of White Beans — navy or cannellini
Serve it with fresh cilantro, lime wedges, pickled or fresh jalapenos, sour cream, shredded Monterey jack cheese, your favorite hot sauce and fresh corn tortilla chips.